Monday, January 25, 2021

The Croods, a UFC Fighter, and Nothing is Wasted

Yesterday I watched a movie from 2013 I thought I had seen before. I remembered it was great and there is a sequel coming out soon. Now I am not so sure I had ever seen it before yesterday. It could just be that my 53-year-old brain erased it to make room for other things, like the hundreds of passwords necessary to survive in 21st century. At any rate, I thought it was a fun, entertaining movie with a great message worth sharing. The message was this; Tomorrow does not have to be like yesterday, it can be so much more.

This stone-age family, the Croods, followed their husband and father, Grug, voiced by Nicholas Cage, in his rules for survival, believing there is no safer place than their cave. Grug’s mantra was “never not be afraid.” New things posed a threat to their very existence, except in the curious mind of Eep, the somewhat rebellious teenage daughter (Emma Stone). As the story unfolds, Grug learns through a series of life experiences, failures, adventures, and a young man named Guy (Ryan Reynolds), that any hope for freedom will come by learning from the past, living out a new calling and a new future that is bigger than his fear.

In the Bible, the Book of Acts, chapter 7, verses 20 -37, the author Luke retells part of the Old Testament story of Moses. In a time where life-expectancy was a whole different economy of time than now, Moses lived to be 120 years of age. In the span of his life, we see that the way we start is not the way we have to finish. We see that with God, there is nothing wasted!

Have you ever thought “I’ve just wasted that day, or weekend, or season of my life?” Have you ever thought, like I have that “I have wasted my entire life?” All I must do is look at my 3 kids to know that there are at least 3 ways that I did not waste my life. But like you, I sometimes lose perspective and do not realize that God has such a different idea about my life.

Moses was born in a troubled time, a time when firstborn sons were to be killed and he was the first-born. Scripture tells us that Moses was no “ordinary child (Acts 7:20 NIV). Friends, the reality is that you were no “ordinary child.” Neither was I. Neither was anyone. You see, in God’s economy, nothing is “ordinary;” nothing is wasted. In fact, humans are the only species that produces waste; which divides waste and recyclables. You can look beyond humans and notice in all the rest of nature that nothing is wasted. Forests clear and regenerate themselves. Dead animals become food for other animals and insects thus providing life by their very death. The oceans, full of aquatic life, do not also become a vast sewer. What you and I consider waste may actually be fertilizer.

Moses’ Hebrew mother felt it safer for him to be placed outside, in a basket in the Nile River, surrounded by Crocodiles and other predators, than to be raised by her in her home. He was eventually found by the daughter of the very Egyptian Pharaoh who enacted the edict demanding the killing of babies. As he grew, being raised and educated as an Egyptian in the house of Pharaoh, he discovered he really had no identity; he wasn’t Egyptian, yet he wasn’t Hebrew either. Moses was an outsider.

Do you feel like you are an outsider, that you do not fit, that your struggles and failures exclude you from a free and full existence? God’s perspective is so much different than ours. You see, since with God nothing is wasted, our wounds, our scars, our failures, and disappointments all shape us into who God needs us to be. Maybe you are an outsider because other outsiders are who need you the most!

Ever since I identified a calling to live my life for God’s work, I thought my calling was specific to helping other Christians know, understand, and relate to God by facilitating their worship of Him. Yet my entire career, apart from a few breathtaking seasons, I have also felt like an outsider. As I said earlier, there were even times when I felt like I had wasted my life. I carried hidden wounds, secret scars, colossal failures, overwhelming disappointment, oh, and fear that rivaled Grug Crood’s desire to stay in the cave. I have lived the life of never not being afraid.

When Moses was a third of the way through his life (40 years old), something happened that changed his life. The Hebrew people were enslaved by the Egyptians and had been for many years. In defense of an Israelite being mistreated by an Egyptian, Moses killed that Egyptian. He thought that this was God’s way of using him to rescue “his people,” though an outsider he was. But word had spread, not of Moses’ heroic act of rescue, but of his lawless act of murder and for 40 years he fled to yet another land, again being an outsider, living aimlessly, likely feeling like his life had been wasted.

It was another 40 years after that when Moses encountered a bush on fire in the middle of the desert, a hotspot in his disappointing life, that God reached to Moses and called him to something new and specific. In verse 36 we see that “He (Moses) led them out of Egypt and performed wonders and signs in Egypt, at the Red Sea and for forty years in the wilderness.” It was Moses who initiated the eventual freedom of an entire nation of outsiders, the children of Israel, the very ancestry line of the ultimate rescuer, hero-redeemer, Jesus Christ.

These people whom Moses led out of Egyptian captivity were a stubborn people. These outsiders wondered in the wilderness for 40 years, ironically the same amount of time Moses had just spent exiled as an outsider. However, in this final third of his life, Moses walks in God’s calling as a leader, a rescuer, right where God wants him to be. It is not counted against him that he floated in the Nile as a 3-month-old. It is not counted against him that he was raised in the home of a perpetrator of genocide. It is not counted against him that he was a murderer. It is not counted against him that he felt like an outsider and that his life had been wasted. Believe me, when you have had a life similar to Moses’ life, the negative press is overwhelming. The things people say and do to you are unbelievable. “Who made you ruler and judge?” “I’m not sure if you’re truly a child of God.” “I can’t eat in the same restaurant as you. I’m leaving.” “Oh, you’re in this aisle of the grocery store. I’m going to go to another aisle.” “I wanted to talk to you but I’m not allowed to.” “You’re not welcome at this wedding.” The list goes on and on. Outsider…? Can you begin to see how one might think their life was wasted? If you are only listening to those who oppose you, you are not learning anything. But if you are only listening to the people who agree with you, you are not learning anything either.

I was pleased to discover that at least one other person, other than my wife and my mom, read my most recent post, “Christians Can Be Democrats and Still Be Respected.” It was the most political piece I have ever written, yet it was wrapped in my beliefs about faith. The reader pointed out that I may be looking to the government and political ideology to meet the needs of families rather than looking to the Church to be the Church and care for the widows, the orphans, the marginalized in our society, including the poor. The reader questioned whether my points would be better served aiming them at the Church rather than the government. I had to admit that indeed, I had failed to include the Church in my thinking regarding the issues I addressed in that post. Since chewing on the reader’s response, I have had some interesting conversations, complex thoughts and ideas, and will continue to formulate and digest the topic, likely to be discussed in a future blog. I appreciated the interaction and “As iron sharpens iron” so does listening to people with differing opinions than you. We could all do more thinking about walking in the other one’s shoes. If we only listen to those who agree with us, I believe we stunt our own growth.

We now see with Moses and should recognize within us, that God sends us to “school,” the school of hard knocks, the school of life, in order for us to make a difference in the world. The tuition has cost us nothing and yet has cost us everything. Moses had plans. He had an idea of what his life was supposed to be. He knew there was no one to blame and it was out of his control when he went into a self-prescribed exile for 40 years. His life was unmanageable.

But God…the 2 greatest words a story could ever include. But God…stepped in after 40 years to call Moses to do amazing things. But God…said, “leave your past in the past and let Me create a new future for you.” Friends, do not settle for less. Maybe all that “waste” of the past was the exact “fertilizer” that is needed for your growth and maybe even the growth of an entire nation.

Michael Chandler is a professional mixed martial artist who has been fighting for over 10 years. Michael was a former three-time Bellator MMA lightweight champion with a 22 – 5 record before going into his UFC debut last night. Chandler, 34, defeated number 6 ranked Dan Hooker with a first-round TKO that surprised the UFC world. Michael recognizes that “the fight” is not only about his skill as a mixed martial artist, but that all of us are fighting every day for our families, for our friends, and for our faith. He strives to carry himself as a man of God and an example of strength and discipline as he uses his platform to reach people for Christ.

Last night was my 2nd exposure to UFC and mixed martial arts. Unlike the boxing of Mohammed Ali and Mike Tyson that I can recall, MMA includes a mixture of boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, and jiu-jitsu. There’s grappling and submissions, the ground game, and the standup game. There are knockouts and there are decisions, just like boxing. Oh, and did I tell you their gloves are quite thin, and 3 to 5 round bouts usually involve blood from one or both competitors? I had enjoyed my introduction to the sport with my son a few years ago, and my daughter’s boyfriend, Caleb, invited me to this social-distancing event, complete with hot wings and ribeye and unlimited Diet Coke. This is where I learned about Michael Chandler, who was not fighting in the main fight of the night but was one of the earlier fights on the card. He is now becoming Caleb and my favorite fighter. I do not have many to choose from.


As a high school athlete, Chandler went to the state championships every year. Every year he fell short. In his senior year, he thought his wrestling career was going to be shattered because he was not a state champion. Then came college. “You’re just thrown into the fire in college wrestling, and college wrestling has very much made me the man I am today.” Chandler described that part of his career as being stuck in a pressure cooker of a situation where it is dog eat dog, and it’s may the best man win. The competitors were all state champions and Chandler felt he was a failure. He worked very hard, and he was not that talented. He did not have those accolades. He did not have those gold medals. He did not have those state championship rings. He did not have those pictures of him on the podium, and he wasn’t the big man on campus. He felt like an outsider; a waste.

To tell you that I am surprised to learn that a committed Christ-follower would also be an MMA fighter is an understatement. I know that George Foreman calls himself a Christian. Even Mike Tyson claimed Christ at one time. But this sport is even more violent than boxing. Chandler relates to my surprise and is often asked, “How are you a Christian and you’re going to beat people up?” Chandler states, “If I can reach people by doing what I do — even though what I do might not be the way that you look at a Christian or the way that you think a Christian man should act or the kind of activities that a Christian man should engage in — who are you to look at that and say, ‘I’m doing something wrong’ when thousands and hundreds of thousands of people are being impacted…I was being called in this direction to be able to be put on a platform to reach people.” God wants to use each of us “unordinary” people to make a difference in the world. We all have ways God wants to use us. In Chandler’s case, it was some young person acting on God’s calling in their life that impacted Chandler’s life and opened his eyes to Christ. “Like most of us who go to church, we got invited by a friend… somebody that we trusted… someone that we knew or that we liked.” Now Chandler is acting on God’s calling in his life and making an impact on others. “I can’t tell you how many messages I get, how many people come up to me, face to face, how many people I meet that say, ‘Man, I love the way you carry yourself. I love that you are a warrior and a fighter, but you are also a man of faith, and you’re also a devoted husband and devoted father.’”

So often God uses people other than “Sunday School perfect” people. Chandler considered himself an outsider, at least in the sport that was his passion. He had the choice to be part of the Crood family and let fear, doubt, and thoughts of a wasted life rule his survival or step into God’s calling and experience freedom like never before. Through that freedom and the “school of hard knocks,” Chandler is now on the rise on an international stage. The sport of mixed martial arts has grown tenfold in the last 10 years. It is the fastest-growing sport in the world. It’s on big networks like Fox and Fox Sports 1, and they’re still doing million pay-per-view buys.

Chandler says, “So if I can be a husband and a father and a Christian man and have a platform to be able to reach people, and then also take that platform and use it inside of a cage in front of millions of people and see how the ups and downs and the wins and losses and the pain and the anguish and the triumph of this crazy MMA career can reach people…[it’s] and opportunity.” That is what I am talking about. No life is wasted. Ups, downs, wins, losses, pain, anguish, and triumph, these are not wasted. They are exactly what God uses in you and me to reach other outsiders like myself.

So ask yourself, are you Grug Crood and are you never not afraid? Are you really just an outsider whose future has no chance of redemption? Or are you Michael Chandler, or even Moses, who has a heroic story yet to be written because nothing in your life is wasted?

By the way, I will be watching more UFC fights and soon I will talk about how those fighters leave nothing for the next fight and neither should we. I want to again direct you to Mosaic.org and Erwin McManus. His messages are located there. Just click “watch.” They are now streaming so you can watch them at any time. Today’s message provided fodder for my thoughts.


Until next time, thanks for reading.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment