Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Games Are Good Medicine

left: Mancala for Ages 50 and up

It seems like after the age of 50 the amount of medicine one is required to take continues to increase yearly. Even with all the medicine, there are additional procedures and vaccinations one must endure, with the COVID vaccine added to the mix this year (if one elects to receive it). My doctor strongly suggests I get the Shingles vaccine. The doctor thankfully opted out of the Prostate exam but instead referred me for a routine Colonoscopy. I am procrastinating on making that appointment. Do you blame me?

They say “laughter is the best medicine.” Something that usually brings laughter is playing a game. Now I admit playing games has not always been my favorite pastime, especially since the invention of videos as evening entertainment. I’m not too competitive, but like anyone, I get tired of losing.

Recently all my kids and their spouses came to see Noelle and me in Denver and we decided to all play a game. One of Noelle's kids joined the fun and it really was a great evening.I can’t tell you who won or lost, but I can remember that it brought joy and laughter to all of us. I think people get to know each other in new ways when they play games. It's much different than sitting silently and watching a movie, that's for sure. Since Christmas when any of Noelle’s kids come over, we try to play a game, and again joy and laughter abound. And this paragraph allows me to shamelessly post pictures of all of our kids, their spouses, significant others. Don’t miss the granddaughter in there too. She can steal your attention in a minute.

Families have played games probably as long as there have been families. I can remember my parents having friends over to play the card game Rook. When we were old enough, they taught us to play. I haven't played that in ages. Grandpa and Grandma always had games, because TV was of no value to them. I remember Dominos and Pick Up Sticks and then Uno, Skip-O, and others. When we weren't playing games with others, we were playing Solitare, such a lonely word. Not that any of the games we have been enjoying are all that unique, I thought I would share some of our recent favorites with you. Maybe it will prompt some laughter and joy for you and be just the medicine the doctor ordered.

Cards Against Humanity Family EditionThis a new fill-in-the-blank comedy game that’s just like Cards Against Humanity, but it’s made for kids and adults to play together. I DO NOT endorse the original game. This edition is a funny, yet wholesome (PG) game I would recommend for grades 4 and up. This is what we have been playing with Noelle’s kids and we have been laughing our heads off.

Written in consultation with child development experts, kids get engaged in absurd wordplay, and adults and kids alike get to laugh hysterically. Each round, one player asks the group a question from a black card, then everyone answers it with their funniest white card. I will say that if you are offended by fart and poot 

Quiplash by Jackbox Games – This game is a gut-busting battle of wits and wittiness! Just use your phone or tablet (no controllers needed) to answer simple prompts. There are no rules or correct answers. You just say whatever you want! Your answer will be displayed on your TV and pitted against another player's answer in a head-to-head battle. Other players and even an audience of up to 10,000 people, then vote on their favorite answer. I suggest you select “family-friendly” in the settings. This is what we played with my kids.

Mancala – With this game, we add a bit of history and culture to our lives. It is a generic name for a family of two-player turn-based strategy board games played with small stones, beans, or seeds, and rows of holes or pits in the earth, a board, or other playing surfaces. The objective is usually to capture all or some set of the opponent's pieces. Versions of the game date back to the 7th century and evidence suggests the game existed in Ancient Egypt. It is among the oldest known games to still be widely played today. Noelle and I have enjoyed hours of fun with this Christmas gift.

Dutch Blitz - Developed in Pennsylvania Dutch country, Dutch Blitz is a card game that's exciting to play and easy to learn. My daughters taught me to play this spirited card game as players try to get rid of your 10-card Blitz pile before anybody else. Not as easy as it sounds, though, because players don't take turns. You have to be the fastest to place your cards in sequence and in the same respective colors on the center Dutch piles while using as many cards from your Blitz Pile as possible. When your Blitz Pile has been exhausted, you've won. The game includes four decks of 4 colorful playing cards and easy-to-follow instructions. Two to four players can play this fast-moving game. I will tell you it gets crazy and frustrating at times.

Backgammon - This is another one of the oldest known board games whose history can be traced back nearly 5,000 years to archaeological discoveries in Mesopotamia. It is a two-player game where each player has fifteen pieces that move in one direction between twenty-four triangles according to the roll of two dice. The objective of the game is to be the first to move all fifteen pieces off the board. I don't know where I first came across this game, but I've played it for a long time. I think I taught Ashley to play. It's another game that challenges Noelle and me to hours of friendly, fun competition. This game will definitely travel with us this summer and fall as we hit the road, taking COVID precautions, of course.

Phase 10 From the makers of UNO comes a rummy-type card game with a challenging and exciting twist. The object of the game is to be the first player to complete 10 varied phases of sets and runs. Each phase to be completed is specific to each hand dealt, meaning you need to complete the current phase in order to advance to the next one. A “Wild” card can be used in place of a number card, as well as be used as any color to complete any phase, while a “Skip” card causes your opponent to lose a turn Be the first person to complete all ten phases to win the game.

Five Crowns - Five Crowns is a five-suited rummy-style card game for 1 – 7 players ages 8 and up. We found it to be fun, yet easier and shorter than Phase 10. Five Crowns features a unique double deck that contains 5 suits: spades, clubs, hearts, diamonds, and stars. Players arrange their hands into books and runs. The rotating wild card keeps players on their toes The game begins with 3 cards and 3s are wild, the next round has 4 cards and 4s are wild, and so on ‘til the Kings Go Wild. Make the right combinations, be the first to go out, then watch players scramble as they get one last chance to cut their losses. Compared to Phase 10, players feel less like they can't win if they have a couple of bad hands, so it can seem less competitive and thus, more fun for some.

Connect 4 - It’s the classic game you love to play with your friends and family. Can you connect four of your colored disks by dropping them into the holder before your opponent does? Now it’s available in giant size for bigger laughs and excitement. It was a hit at one of my work parties. I think if they made this size more portable, if it folded into a manageable size for storage, I would travel with this, as well. I might be the hit of the campground with one of these. 

My kids learned to sing a scripture song, “A joyful heart is good medicine.” We all need things in our lives that will be good for our heart, our mind, and our soul. I hope this gives you some good ideas for some upcoming game nights and lots of joy and laughter. Give some of these a try and post a comment about your experience. You can also suggest games for us to try.

Thanks for reading,



No comments:

Post a Comment