Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Reading and Writing, no Arithmetic

On Dec. 30, 2020, I set out to re-start my blog...again. We're coming up to the end of February and since I started blogging I've written over 25 posts, had over 2000 individual views, and received 17 comments in the blog itself. Others have commented on Facebook or via email. My most viewed entry is one that I was most nervous about posting, Christians Can Be Democrats and Still Be Respected. I restarted my blog because I felt I had something to say and I was finding my voice. Sometimes it's just to be light and funny. Other times it's to think out loud and ask you to think with me. Regardless, it's been good for me and I'm going to continue.

There are a few posts that haven't gotten the traction that I had hoped they would. You might have missed them. So let me encourage you to go back and read a few. 

What is the future that you are going to create in 2021? - Jan. 6, 2021


What kind of a difference are you going to make this year? Have you given it any thought? Are you going to let 2021 be just like 2020?

That Time I Was Naked and Afraid - Feb. 14, 2021

Are you paying close enough attention to what Jesus is saying and doing? There are plenty of sources screaming for your attention. What matters most?

There is Lots to Learn Between the Headlines - Feb. 7, 2021

What voices are you listening to? What is being said that the headlines don't include? Are you believing the press about you?

I think writers should also be readers. Before I decided to start writing I first decided to start reading. I started big with Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry, a 950 + page novel. I finished that book on Dec. 17, 2020. On this past Monday, my 54th birthday, I finished my 4th novel, How The West Was Won by Louis L'amour. I've been amazed at what reading has done for me. So far I've been reading historic westerns and modern western mystery. I'm really feeling entertained and I'm enjoying it. I have been doing some other reading for enrichment. I've always done a little bit of that. You might remember me talking about all the many books I have read parts of.

Here is what I've been thinking since I started my 55th year of life. I now know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I have lived longer already than I have yet to live. I'm not trying to be morose and I'm not playing the "I'm old" card, which my kids hate. The truth is, I don't have any guarantees how much longer that will be here and neither do you. Hopefully, it will be a long time for all of us. But from here on out, I need every day to count for something. I need to make a difference to someone every day. I need to not waste time on the wrong things. I can certainly relax, rejuvenate, and recreate when I feel the urge to have downtime, but it needs to include good activities. I hope that this blog, an activity that rejuvenates me, is making an impact on you. Don't forget to reach out and let me know about that.

As always, thanks for reading,


No comments:

Post a Comment