Sunday, February 21, 2021

Resurrection at 54 years old

It's Sunday again. It's time for my weekly reflection. It's been a lot of fun to share my thoughts and feelings with you recently. I found out not only is my Mom and my Wife reading this, but my sister too. In all seriousness, thank you for reading my blog. As I begin my 55th year of life tomorrow I had planned to take a quick look back at part of this last year before moving towards what is ahead. Then today, the speaker at church challenged us with this question, “How would you live if you were guaranteed a resurrection?” This question gave me some perspective on what and why I would share my recent journey with you.

Somewhere in the last half of my 54th year, I read this quote from our 16th President, Abraham Lincoln; “Sir, my concern is not whether God is on my side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.” More than God always being right, this past year I also learned once again how loving and merciful, and gracious He is. I learned once again that His power is beyond what I can dream or imagine. I was reminded again that His peace goes beyond anything I can comprehend. Finally, I came to the resolution that I can trust Him.

I don’t know about you, but for me, it usually takes tough times to learn big lessons. I’ve been through tough times in my life, more than I care to count. As I rehearsed many of them this last year, the lessons began to take on a new shape and my life began to take on new meaning. There was a lot to sift through. A lot of self-induced trauma. A lot of trauma from outside sources. A lot of things were similar to what others have gone through. I was not alone, but there were difficult things to face. There were truths I didn’t want to admit because they were painful. But the biggest lesson of all was that God always keeps His promises! ALWAYS! The Passion Translation, quickly becoming my favorite translation, says it well in Isaiah 51:11, “Do it again! Those Yahweh has set free will return to Zion and come celebrating with songs of joy! They will be crowned with never-ending joy! Gladness and joy will overwhelm them; despair and depression will disappear!”

Have you ever fallen and not been able to get up? You know, like the old commercial. Maybe you have tried to no avail. Finally, someone else has to help you and sure enough, you’re back on your feet. The Gospel of John has great stories about Jesus. I wrote about one last week. This week, in Chapter 5 Jesus says in verse 21, “For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so, the Son gives life to whom He is pleased to give it.” The preceding stories are all about Jesus picking up the fallen, healing the sick and the paralyzed, and offering living water. The Jewish leaders were accusing Him of breaking several of the laws of the day. But Jesus is concerned with those who need to be lifted up and when no one else could help, Jesus makes it happen. Jesus is resurrecting lives.

Jesus has always been in the business of doing what no one else can do. Romans 5:6 NLT says, “When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.” The Passion Translation adds “…to demonstrate His love for sinners who were entirely helpless, weak, and powerless to save themselves.” I wonder, though, if many of us who have grown up in the Church, have gotten bored with the stories of Jesus. Do some of us involve ourselves in religious activities and Christian ideology because the story of Jesus is worn out but we don't know what else to do? Has the world stopped recognizing Christ when observing some Christians because some Christians actually need life; resurrecting? How many Christians are giving award-winning performances, but actually need to be made alive with a fresh understanding of who Jesus is, what Jesus has done, and what Jesus can and will do IN and THROUGH them?

Jesus says something interesting in verse 22. He says that the job of judging people, which used to be God’s job, has been given away. We’ve all heard who people think that job was given to. We’ve all heard people say “Christians are so judgmental.” You see, the Church thinks that God has given them the job of judging others. Oh, I’ve heard them say “Only God judges people.” But friends, that’s not even correct. Have you ever caught this subtle truth tucked into this story? God gave the job of judging people to the most grace-filled man ever to walk the planet; Jesus. Jesus, the one who invited Himself to the hated, dishonest, tax collector's house. Jesus, who told the woman caught in adultery, that He doesn’t condemn her. Jesus, who said about His murderers, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” Even more astounding is that Jesus not only loves people enough to show His graciousness by dying for them, but He also gives them the answer to their ability to have eternal life plain and simple. He doesn’t hide it, play games with it, make it a riddle to be solved, make it some sort of quest to find a hidden treasure. Jesus says straight up, “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears My word and believes Him who sent Me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live” (John 5:24-25 NIV).”

This last year, Jesus once again offered me resurrection. In fact, during this past year, I realized what our speaker at church said today, “Jesus’ one purpose was to find you.” When Jesus finds you, He resurrects you, He brings you to life if you let Him. Many people I know and meet have given so much power to their circumstances, to their regrets, to their trials, troubles, and pain that it literally robs them of their resurrection already available through Jesus Christ. Not only does it rob them of a resurrected life of joy and hope and a future, it completely diminishes the power and the story of Jesus.

Yesterday I received a package from my mom. It was this picture that hung in our home growing up. As you see, her card said that today is MY day. Earlier in the week, I got something else in the mail. It was from AARP. It essentially told me that I qualify as getting old and that maybe I need some assistance and benefits in life that others don’t yet need. As I enter year 55, I have a choice. I can live as someone who is aging out or I can live as someone who’s been resurrected. I want to live as eternal life has already started.

Isaiah 61:2-3 TPT is a life-giving passage. “I am sent to announce a new season of Yahweh’s grace and a time of God’s recompense on his enemies, to comfort all who are in sorrow, to strengthen those crushed by despair who mourn in Zion, to give them a beautiful bouquet in the place of ashes, the oil of bliss instead of tears, and the mantle of joyous praise instead of the spirit of heaviness. Because of this, they will be known as Mighty Oaks of Righteousness, planted by Yahweh as a living display of his glory.” I want to be a life-giving person. In my 55th year, I want to remember that every eye I look into belongs to someone God loves. I want to remember that every person I meet has pain that is not visible to those around them. I want people to desire to know me, not because I am great, but because they want to hear the stories about the One who is great; Jesus! I want to remember that Jesus is bigger and more magnificent than I can possibly imagine. So my life is a resurrected life. My excitement comes from who Jesus is and what He has done, and it is anything but ordinary or boring. God, give me the courage to pursue Jesus above all else.

Thanks for reading,



No comments:

Post a Comment