Sunday, February 28, 2021

"The rains came down and the floods came up..."

Years ago I became a homeowner. I had 3 kids and we thought that I needed to do what everybody does to try to become more financially stable, so I bought a condo. It was really easy to do. I used a trusted friend from church as my realtor. I found a decent location, but more importantly, a property I could afford, and I purchased it. It didn’t help my financial situation short-term. I was in Orange County, California. It was the early 2000’s.

When I decided to relocate to Portland, Oregon for several reasons, one being a more affordable place to live, I sold the condo. I sold it in 20 minutes of putting up the sign. I sold it for what I thought was a lot more than what I purchased it for. I then purchased, on only a condo, but a home on a third of an acre with 14 big trees. It was like I had a campground in my backyard. I was doing what everybody does to become more financially stable; I was moving up the property ownership ladder.

To my demise, I soon realized that I lacked the financial foundation of understanding and discipline to sustain a financial future. While the property I invested in was solid and the home was on a firm foundation, my financial acumen and disciple were grossly inadequate.

Fast-forward to 2015 and a conversation with my father-in-law out on the driveway of the home I am renting. My father-in-law was a successful businessman who prepared land for building. He knew about foundations and how to make sure structures would stay standing because adequate work was done by first making the land suitable for laying a foundation. He said to me “Do not buy this house. Its foundation is not on solid ground.” In 5+ years, I can see what he means.

Today the speaker at church talked about a story from the Bible, that for anyone who has grown up in the church, is a very familiar passage, Luke 6:46-49. This is the story of Jesus teaching about building our lives on a solid foundation. As He teaches, He draws an analogy from the concept of building a house. Jesus begins by asking what good it is to be polite and say “Yes, sir” and “that’s right, sir,” and then not do what Jesus says.

If you are a parent you have experienced those times when, to your face, your child says they will do something, only to find out hours later they didn’t do what they said they would. It’s my pet peeve about voicemail greetings… “Hi you’ve reached Sally. Leave a message and I’ll call you back just as soon as I can.” It was March 2019 and I’m still waiting for that return call. It happens in sales all the time. People tell you they want to buy something but they do not do what they say they will do.

Jesus relates hearing His teaching and not working them into your life like being a “dumb carpenter” (Luke 6:49 The Message), someone “who builds a house without laying any foundation whatsoever” (Luke 6:49 TPT). Jesus, in His analogy to building a house, describes storms and floods that can cause the house to actually collapse into a heap of ruins, like a house of cards, becoming a total loss. Thankfully I bought both a condo and then a house that was built well. They stood and continue to stand the storms that ravage them. Their foundations were strong and served me well when I owned them. I’m sure they are serving their owners to this day.

My personal, financial foundation, however, was weak or nonexistent. When the storms of life came financially, I was not on a firm foundation and I crumbled in ruin. Thus my need to be renting at age 54 rather than owning a home. Digging out of a heap of ruins after losing the entire investment, is a difficult thing to do.

I have chosen to reflect on my poor financial foundation, but the reality is, that I look back at my life, I had built upon weak foundations in lots of areas of my life. Maybe you can relate to not having a strong financial foundation. Maybe your foundation for healthy relationships is weak. Maybe you are lacking a good, healthy foundation physically. Maybe emotionally you have so many weak points in your foundation.

Whatever areas of your foundation may be lacking, let’s face it; if one part of the foundation is weak, it is likely that lots of areas are. You are not alone in that fact. The good news is that Jesus is the knowledgeable son of a carpenter. He gives us the answer in His teaching, recorded for us in the book of Luke.

Jesus tells us that what He is about to share are not just “additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundation words, words to build a life on” (Luke 6:47 The Message). He shares what it’s like for a person to follow what He says.

“If you work the words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who dug deep and laid the foundation of his house on bedrock. When the river burst its banks and crashed against the house, nothing could shake it; it was built to last” (Luke 6:48 The Message).

My Father-in-law knew by looking at the cracks in the concrete driveway that the ground had not been properly prepared for the building. Jesus knows that one who is not ruined by the storms of life is one who “digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock (Luke 6:48 NLT). When I was ravaged by the rising floodwaters of life and the waves were breaking against me, it was because I had not come to Jesus, listened to His words, and followed Him. Those who are unshaken are those with a life still standing “for it has been wisely built his life on the right foundation” (Luke 6:48 TPT).

The great thing about Jesus is that His Heavenly Father is the Ultimate Carpenter. He created the heavens and the Earth (Gen. 1:1) and He can help you build a new foundation on which to stand. It is never too late. Jesus’s words in His teaching tell us to come to Him, listen to Him, and follow Him. It is that simple…and it is so hard. In Sunday School as a child, I learned this story of Jesus’ teaching through a song. The song talks about a wise man and a foolish man, as does the story. How could I be so foolish as to hear the words of the Son of THE Carpenter, and yet neglect them, thus neglecting my foundation for life? I don’t know anyone who would say they do not want to be wise. So why not build your life upon the ROCK. In Psalm 18 David says “The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer: my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge” (NIV). 1 Corinthians 3:11 says “For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ” (ESV). If you do a Google search there are over 100 different references to the Lord being the rock and foundation.

Last week I wrote about making every day count for something. I was thinking this week about how quickly every day goes by. 24 hours, 1440 minutes, 86,400 seconds; they just seem to fly by at times. I have been given the opportunity to rebuild my foundation and making sure there are no weak spots. Would you like to join me in the construction project? You work on yours, I’ll work on mine. We will encourage each other in our work. We can share building skills that are helpful. We can talk about mistakes to avoid. We can even look out for each other as we build. Let’s let Jesus be our Contractor or Master Carpenter. Let’s come to Him daily, listen to what He is teaching us, and follow His instructions. Our houses will not fall again.

Thanks for reading,

 


No comments:

Post a Comment